17. Joining the firm as a clerk, he got rapid promotion, and ______ as a manager.
A. ended up B. dropped out C. came back D. started off
18. It takes a lot of ______ to become a good swimmer.
A. train B. exercise C. practice D. performance
19. The Minister’s refusal to meet the press ______ just how serious the crisis is.
A. detected B. relieved C. revealed D. concealed
20. Supplying food and employment, regulating our climate and providing transportation, the ocean is ______ to our lives in many ways.
A. basic B. accessible C. dramatic D. known
21. The office complex on Broad Street has been ______ for a year due to delayed construction work.
A. vacantly B. vacating C. vacancy D. vacant
22. Upon installation, the software will prompt the user to enter the product ______, which is located in the instruction manual.
A. number B. numbered C. numbering D. numbers
23. Paycheck are ______ ready for pickup at the front desk.
A. once B. far C. now D. yet
24. The plant’s ______ has doubled since the introduction of automated assembly.
A. upturn B. output C. drawback D. overpass